PMI PMO Symposium 2017
- Marriott Marquis Houston 1777 Walker Street Houston, TX, 77010 United States (map)
What is it?
PMI's annual PMO Symposium will be held in Houston, Texas. The theme for this is agile transformation and the evolving PMO.
Join the world’s top PMO executives, organizational leaders and senior decision-makers to learn and discuss proven strategies that drive success.
The program for the PMO Symposium is usually good indicator of what the industry is going and what PMO Professionals are thinking, so it is pleasing to see so many sessions this year focusing at the organizational level and the role the PMO plays. There are several talks that align well with my own thoughts on Framework pragmatism including:
- Implementing Agile in a Waterfall World - Seth Norburg - Program Management Supervisor - Caterpillar
- Managing a Hybrid Project Portfolio - Anna Marie Consor, AVP Project Management - Navy Federal
- The Hybrid PMO - Managing a Hybrid Project Portfolio - Rehan Baaqri, Senior Enterprise Portfolio Manager, PepsiCo
- Leading Self-Managed (Organized) Teams - Richard Sigler, Director, PMO, Loyola University, Maryland
- Best PMO Agile/Hybrid Practices - Leila Rao, Lean-agile Coach, AgileXtended
There are also several talks exploring the concept of organizational agility including:
- Scaling Agile to the Enterprise - Dr. Edivandro Conforto, EC Conforto Research & Consulting Group
- Five Transformational Steps Toward Increased Organizational Agility - Iain Fraser, Business Consultant - Jacobite Consulting Ltd
- Effective PMO Leadership for Organization Agility - Alex Nascimento, PMO Leader and Program Manager
Finally, there are insights into the role the PMO can play at the strategic level including:
- Advancing Your PMO to be Strategically Relevant - Dannell Peddell, Director, Project Management Office -Cineplex Digital Media
- The PMO as the Driver of Strategy - Adeel Leghari, Director of Strategic Initiatives Delivery, Al Ayuni Investment and Contracting Company
- Delivering Strategy in a Changing Environment Through Effective Portfolio Management - Kate Ganley, Vice President Group Programs & Projects - Etihad Aviation Group
The PMO Symposium also includes the PMO of the Year awards ceremony, and several PMO-focused excursions, including a visit to Johnson Space Center – Hosted by NASA (Book early!). With over 80 sessions to attend, and 500+ attendees, this must be the largest event in the PMO calendar.
Where do I get tickets?
PMOs are a relatively modern phenomenon. The earliest known maps include cave drawings from around 16,500BC and even older maps inscribed on mammoth tusks. That's a lot of Lessons Learned that PMOs can draw knowledge from! In this article we explore what PMO people and Cartographers have in common, and what we can learn from the pioneers of map making.
Thanks to the growing number of CRM systems with API interfaces, and messaging systems such as Slack that positively embrace the use of bots, more and more simple tasks can be automated. PMOs should be taking advantage.
How many times have you bemoaned the erratic, irrational and illogical decisions that have been made, causing projects to deliver late, dependencies to be missed and seemingly disparate projects to clash? Cogitative Biases effect projects deliver and PMO success. But they can be mitigated and controlled. Here are six to watch out for.
Are you Agile or are you Waterfall? Scrum or Kanban? PRINCE2 or PMBOK? To become true business catalysts, PMOs need to rise above the debate and become framework pragmatists.
Marketing and Agile are a match made in heaven. And PMOs have an important role to play in helping Marketing teams take the Agile plunge.
The US Senate has unanimously approved the Program Management Improvement and Accountability Act. PMI are pretty excited about the bill - they have been vocal about their endorsement of the bill. But what does it mean for Project Management professionals?
An interesting example of Agile in the construction industry that almost lead to London, UK having a tower to rival the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
The problem with lessons learned reports is that they are usually sterilized to the point of being meaningless.
Call3 is a new way of sharing lessons with a simple premise: When project managers initiate new projects, they must call three nominated people and have a 30 minute conversation with them about the project.
We are in an age where we can (and do) gather increasing amounts or data about our organizations, projects, suppliers, markets and people. These sources could be used to make better data-driven decisions about how we deliver projects and seek to extract value from them. But despite the obvious potential, few PMOs have made progress with tapping into this pool of data.
You could argue that if there was one single thing that you would expect PMOs to be good at, it would be Metrics. After all, PMOs often exalt the mantra that 'the PMO is the single voice of truth!'.
But PMO analysts seem to be far less savvy about the metrics that are important in agile environments. Well never fear - we've pulled together the definitive collection of Agile Metrics for your performance indicating pleasure...