What is it?
PMI's annual PMO Symposium will be held in Houston, Texas. The theme for this is agile transformation and the evolving PMO.
Join the world’s top PMO executives, organizational leaders and senior decision-makers to learn and discuss proven strategies that drive success.
The program for the PMO Symposium is usually good indicator of what the industry is going and what PMO Professionals are thinking, so it is pleasing to see so many sessions this year focusing at the organizational level and the role the PMO plays. There are several talks that align well with my own thoughts on Framework pragmatism including:
- Implementing Agile in a Waterfall World - Seth Norburg - Program Management Supervisor - Caterpillar
- Managing a Hybrid Project Portfolio - Anna Marie Consor, AVP Project Management - Navy Federal
- The Hybrid PMO - Managing a Hybrid Project Portfolio - Rehan Baaqri, Senior Enterprise Portfolio Manager, PepsiCo
- Leading Self-Managed (Organized) Teams - Richard Sigler, Director, PMO, Loyola University, Maryland
- Best PMO Agile/Hybrid Practices - Leila Rao, Lean-agile Coach, AgileXtended
There are also several talks exploring the concept of organizational agility including:
- Scaling Agile to the Enterprise - Dr. Edivandro Conforto, EC Conforto Research & Consulting Group
- Five Transformational Steps Toward Increased Organizational Agility - Iain Fraser, Business Consultant - Jacobite Consulting Ltd
- Effective PMO Leadership for Organization Agility - Alex Nascimento, PMO Leader and Program Manager
Finally, there are insights into the role the PMO can play at the strategic level including:
- Advancing Your PMO to be Strategically Relevant - Dannell Peddell, Director, Project Management Office -Cineplex Digital Media
- The PMO as the Driver of Strategy - Adeel Leghari, Director of Strategic Initiatives Delivery, Al Ayuni Investment and Contracting Company
- Delivering Strategy in a Changing Environment Through Effective Portfolio Management - Kate Ganley, Vice President Group Programs & Projects - Etihad Aviation Group
The PMO Symposium also includes the PMO of the Year awards ceremony, and several PMO-focused excursions, including a visit to Johnson Space Center – Hosted by NASA (Book early!). With over 80 sessions to attend, and 500+ attendees, this must be the largest event in the PMO calendar.